Yoga: The Art of Adjusting 3rd Edition
Author: Brian Cooper
Spiral Bound Hardback: 311 pages
Dimensions: 9.5 x 7.5 x 1 in. (24 x 20 x 2.5 cm)
Publisher: Harmony Publishing; 3 edition (2013)
The asanas of the Primary Series of the Ashtanga system are the basis for this manual. The principles of adjusting are explained to ensure adjustments are carried out safely and effectively. Each asana is shown along with its detailed alignment, followed by clearly illustrated and beautifully photographed adjustments. Different styles of adjusting are shown including partner yoga and Thai Massage.
Using the asanas of the Primary Series of Ashtanga Yoga this manual presents:
- Principles and benefits of adjusting
- Detailed alignment and guidance for each asana
- Key teaching points for verbally instructing a class
- Illustrates a wide range of adjusting methods, Partner Yoga and Thai Massage
- Over 210 photographs with adjustments with detailed instructions
- Over 70 beautiful photographs of Partner Yoga and Thai Massage
Foreword by Matthew Sweeney:
"I am honoured to write the foreword for Yoga: The Art of Adjusting.
The detailed art of adjusting Yoga postures has been accomplished in this book in a loving and practical format. It also comes at a fortuitous moment. With the rapid increase of Yoga teachers all over the globe during the last few years, greater understanding of the art of adjusting has been missing in the printed form.
I think Brian Cooper has done an excellent job of covering the key points of adjusting most of the postures of the Primary Series of Ashtanga Yoga. He clearly explains the main focus of each posture, the direction to take with each posture and eventually how to learn to do each posture unaided without an adjustment.
The visual aspects of each posture are conveyed precisely in a step-by-step format giving the reader practical insight into the wonderful art of touch. Enjoy!"
Table of contents:
- Chapter 1: Basics
- The Science of Flexibility
- Principles of Adjusting
- Types of Adjusting
- The Mechanics of Adjusting
- How to use this manual
- Terminology of Alignment
- Chapter 2: Surya Namaskar
- Chapter 3: Standing Asanas
- Chapter 4: Primary Series Asanas
- Chapter 5: Back Bending
- Chapter 6: Partner Yoga
- Chapter 7: Thai Massage
Personal Biography of Brian Cooper